Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mole Rats, Ghouls, and Centaurs . .oh my?

Gaming segment: 4.5 hours!

Part of the quest concerning the fire ants was to find a boy named Bryan Wilks. I decided that when I traveled back out the Metro tunnel that i would fast travel once outside to Tenpenny before finding him, so that I could sleep off some of my HP (Health) damage, and so that I could make is daylight outside. The fact that time is always moving on and that there actually is night and day in the game is really impressing to me! I do prefer playing in the daylight, though, because it is physically easier to see the detail in the game screen (as well as lurking enemies ready to pounce!) I haven't actually made any observation that certain enemies only come out during day or night, but, I wouldn't put it past Bethesda!

Side track for a minute!
Talking a little about the detail of the game is actually something I haven't done yet! Just to throw a couple things in here to show Bethesda's attention to detail: when creating the idea of a "retro-post apocalypso world" they included cars according to the 50's era, advertisements, music selection including The Inkspots, Billy Holiday, Bob Crosby etc. (mostly all real artists from the 50's era), and era clothes.

Check out some songs from the game! Ridiculously catchy I find:
"Way back Home"

 "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire"


When it comes to actual items, creatures, people, and places in the game, all are pretty vivid images- that for people and creatures especially- include accurate facial expressions according to what it happening.

I have been doing some in depth researching about Fallout and where it's origins came from, and stumbled upon this amazing site:      
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout_3
Basically a Wiki page centered all around Fallout! Anything and everything you want to know about any Fallout game, the original, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, or Fallout: New Vegas, is on this site. It has info on characters, creatures, factions, locations, DLC (downloadable content), items, quests and more. I have only looked into what I have seen thus far in the game, not wanting to gain foreknowledge of what is to come- but to just better understand what I have already been dealing with :) But what I have already looked into- has blown my mind! For instance, check out the factions and the Brotherhood of Steel for example. There is just so much depth and thought put into the history and storyline. Honestly, it makes any FO plot line sound like a real event in history. The fact that really amazes me is how well the storyline between the first 3 Fallout's have been. Even though the first two were made by Interplay, since Interplay started the development on FO3 and it was later acquired by Bethesda, Bethesda (while putting their own creative juice on it) did well in keeping some ties to the two previous games.

The first two Fallout's were actually PC games made by Interplay in 1997 and 1998. (Picture to the right shows a screen shot via the first one, I believe) Both games received high praise and reviews, with some countries however needing to either alter quests and/or "substance" names due to being deemed too violent or "scenes too similar to real drug use." Yikes! Two places in particular that I know for sure had different versions that the US one, were Australia and Japan. Japan's version was altered to exclude a nuclear bomb quest (in Fallout 3 specially (not sure about Fallout or Fallout 2)), and Australia's version was altered to exclude scenes depicting similar drug use methods and to exclude any killing of children. As far as I know, the US versions are "how the company  (either Interplay or Bethesda) originally intended the game to be played." In other words, not altered. Not sure what that says about our culture, that we maybe tolerate violence more than other countries? Or maybe we are just better at differentiating "augmented realities" from reality? In any case, I won't know the full extent of how "violent" either of the first two games, until I get the chance to play them!

Anywho, side tangent done, and back to the game :)

When I arrived at the tower, I made notice to write down a conversation with one of the tower residents. She said that "she doesn't have time to be worried about the ghouls (that I already killed) because she has higher priorities. Such as dying her hair." Wowwwwww vain! The people that live here are just so ridiculously walking around with a stick up their ass. Not one person that I have talked to has actually treated me like an equal, but rather they all look down at me from their pedestal. I went up to my room and sleep for a long, long time! Fully recharged, I decided to ditch the plan to find Bryan Wilks, and decided to wander around for a little by the tower. I made by way tot he southwest corner of the map just to see what it would say when the map "ended" (game edge). Simple enough, it said "you cannot proceed this way." Turned my direction to the Southeast and killed a protection robot that randomly spawned when I came close.
 The best way to get these guys, is to first wound the legs (for some reason it damages their HP considerably) and then take them out via laser pistol or laser rifle. After defeating him, I found a diner, VAPL-66 power station, and a radscorpion! Yeah, that one actually killed me . .oops! Retreated back to the tower after I respawned, fixed my HP, and then went out wandering again. Stuck a little closer to home this time and checked out the local RobCo building close to Tenpenny tower. The building was impressive! All the floors were virtually empty of enemies, besides the occasional Mole Rat and RadRoach. But it was pretty interesting to navigate, because it resembled a large maze! Once I got the hang of where I was going, It was an amazing resource of food, ammo, and random items that could be used for weapon making. (Since I don't have any schematics for making weapons yet, I wasn't able to make any). With that, I headed out into the Wasteland again.

I Fast traveled to Grayditch, and instead of going towards the Metro, I decided to try crossing the river. Once I stepped in, heavy radiation central! luckily I had on my lab coat that the Ant scientist gave me that was somewhat more radiation resistant than not wearing the coat. Once I crossed the river, some raiders sought me out and since it was a melee attack towards me, I may have died. Oops! Next time I regenerated next to the river, I was ready for the raiders and came up from behind to take them out. Once they were down for the count, I realized that I was close to GNR- my original task to find my dad. With that info in mind I proceeded in the direction necessary. It lead me to a scene where a robot and mercenary were taking down a super mutant. This is the first point in the game where I have seen a mercenary, and they aren't exactly easy to be reckoned with. I made my way onto an overpass where I was able to proceed to the edge and use VATS.

I am not sure if I already covered what VATS is- but for a refresher (or the first time knowing), it is a precision mode where you are able depending on your AP available, target certain parts of the body to shoot. If you have a full bar of AP you can usually get 3 or so hits (depending on the gun) before you have to let AP recharge. You can see your percentage of how likely you are able to hit the area you are going for, and obviously that number would improve with closeness, and decrease with distance. Certain areas have different perks; such as head shots and super mutants (usually severely crippling) Antenna for fire ants (causing them to frenzy and attack anything nearby even other ants) or maybe a robot's leg (hurting their mobility). When you decide on what part to hit, you press the trigger button to line up the shots, and then exit VATS with the X button. When VATS is exited, a slow-mo scene with you shooting the enemy plays, and sometimes, shows them receiving a very gore filled, exuberant death. Mostly the head comes clean off with a good VATS shot to the head. Anyways . .
I used VATS when up close, and then backed up to let my AP recover. Certain "enhancers" (video game drugs) such as Jet or UltraJet, improves your AP recovery time considerably up to a span around 5 minutes or so. After the robot and Merc were dead, I hopped on down and scavenged myself some power armor! Although, I don't have the training to use it yet :/. For later then. I was about to leave when a particularly nasty couple of super mutants came out from their fort and found me. A couple sawed off shotgun VATS to the head took the first one down. The second one, however, needed a little more persuasion. It was a super mutant brute. And he had a missile launcher. Successfully avoiding his missile, I was able to hide and retaliate against him until I won and took his missile launcher to fix my own :) Awesome! 

I left the fort and went around the block as that was the only way to proceed. When I came around the corner I ran into only what I can call a super mutant's pet.

Yeah, that's a Centaur. Straight out of Silent Hill, right? Part of the FEV (Forced Evolutionary Virus) experiment that involved messing with people and creatures alike to see what they could handle in wasteland circumstances. It was somewhat difficult to kill, but definitely do-able. I also came across two hostages: one dead and one alive. The prompt on the trapped hostage said that if I released him I would receive some caps, and if I didn't- that the mutants would most likely killed them. Being the type of person I am (in the game) I left him to his fate. Out of sight, out of mind. With the killing of the Centaur, also came the advancement to level 6! I chose the perk of toughness- which made me a little more invincible to defeat when it comes to damage inflicted and radiation. 

Made it to Friendship Metro Station, where I was met with some raiders. I still find it funny that after they engage combat and I have severely weakened their HP to almost death- that they run away and say "I'm outta here! I don't want to die!" Haha, you started it! Really? I am still going to get you. Sorry. 

Shortly after, a cutscene played where the Brotherhood of Steel swept in and saved me from 3 or so super mutants. I asked them why they did that and they said that that was their job. They were headed back to the GNR building and could show me the way. I chose to follow them and watch as they took down more mutants along the way. We finally made it to the GNR square and thought it was over, when all of the sudden a super mutant behemoth charged his way in!
 Being at least 35 feet tall he was no walk in the park. I was prompted to grab a "fat man" bomb (coincidentally the same bomb that had to have it named changed in the Japanese version) from a dead Brotherhood member and aim it right at the beast. After some heavy hitting from everyone involved, he went down. And what loot he had! Large amount of ammo and weapons. I was finally able to enter and see Three Dog- the infamous GNR host. I would recognize that voice anywhere! Funny thing about GNR, whenever I do something particularly bad, they always mention it on air ..and it makes me feel pretty damn evil. That is for sure. After talking to him though, he reported to me that my dad has made his way down to Rivet City, a large run-aground aircraft carrier that is on the southeast part of the map. With that, I left the building and saved my game. 

Overall Stats: 
38 kills
163 Creature kills
Died 7 times

Overall thoughts thus far:
This game is ridiculously intriguing. I am seeing new things and wanting to play more all of the time. The lure of the dark side may be compelling? While I don't know if that is true, I will be able to fully comprehend everything when I add one last post after my gaming segment is done- where I plan to reveal all thoughts about my gaming experience. 

See you next time, in the capital wasteland 

-Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment