Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The end, isn't in sight?

Sorry for the lack of posting there for awhile, it is Finals week and all! :) Gaming segment: 6 hours! Which means, yes, I have fulfilled my 20 hour duty for this project, but, did I finish the game? Not even close. Here is what did happen . . .

So after killing all of the super mutants in the hotel, I ran out of it and looked around at my surroundings. There was a super mutant on a skybridge next to me, the hospital to the left, and unknown area to the right. I decided to brave the hospital again, because I figured there would be a bunch of supplies in there!
When I went in, bam, right off the bat a centaur made his way for me. I took him out with my rifle and ventured around the corner. What I saw wasn't a pretty sight :( at least 6 or 7 super mutants. Deciding that I wasn't quite ready for that, I booked it back out of the hospital! I snuck under the skybridge so that the super mutant wouldn't see me, but turns out that when I walked past the building that was connected by the skybrige, another 4 or so of the mutants were waiting for me. I used a couple grenades and lured them out of their hiding spot and slowly but surely was able to defeat them.
I went down a little alleyway and ended up finding a new Metro station, and Vault Tec Headquarters.

Inside Vault Tec there were, of course, super mutants. I have honestly just come to expect them everywhere in this game haha. I took them down and looked around a little, and found a door that lead upstairs. Looking around upstairs, I ran into a new enemy, a Robobrain:
These things are more difficult than Protectron's, and emit this . .sound wave, or something, that damages you head pretty quickly :/. It hit me with one of those waves and my head was crippled. I luckily had a Stimpak on me so that I was able to cure my head. After firing rounds back and forth I won and kept pushing on. The building was mostly filled with Robobrains and Protectrons on the first two levels. Then . .I got to level three, where a turret took me by surprise. This was also the first time in the game that I had came across a turret. They are attached to the ceiling and have an unlimited amount of ammo. awesome. It weakened me a lot, so I had to turn back and fast travel to Tenpenny once outside.

After the usual curing process and buying of more ammo and Stimpaks, I set out again. I decided to make a quick little detour to Girdershade, the location on the map where the "crazy Nukacola Quantum lady" lives. I fast traveled to the power station that I thought was close to Girdershade and walked up there. Once I was there, I walked inside her place and she
gave me the "nukacola tour" (a very small tour of the inside of her house, not exactly fun). I told her to get a move on it. She ended up giving my 360 caps for 9 Quantums! I was pretty happy with myself. As long as I keep bringing her bottles, she will supply the caps. When I went to leave, I met Ronald Larsen, the towns only other inhabitant. He has (had) a fatty crush on Sierra (Nukacola lady) and would do (did) anything to please her. (funny thing is, he ended up dying soon after, but I will get into that in a minute). He offered me a deal; if i brought him the Nukacola Quantums that she wanted, so that he could give them to her, that he would pay me what she would pay me. When I had the option to respond, I had a new option pop up in the text box. Remember how I said that having the Black Widow perk lets you say interesting things to men? Yeah, so, when this came up, "Tell you what handsome, if you go and get those Quantums for me, I'll make it a threesome with you two." hahahaha!! Of course I said that. He pretty much was drooling like a dog and ran off to go get those Quantums. Now, I didn't really trust that he was going to be smart enough to actually survive the journey, so I followed him. We walked and walked and walked and fought a couple of Radscorpions along the way, and eventually made it to, where else, my favorite Nukalurk infested place: The Nukacola factory.

I bit the bullet and decided it was time to get those suckers once and for all. I turned back to see if he was going to follow, but nope, he just stayed at the entrance. Oh well. I went into the Storage and Mixing Vats again, to find to Lurks in sight. I went into the stairway to the offices and yikes! There was once coming down the stairs at me. After dying about 4 times, I finally set up two mines and gunned him down. I kept going a little and found another Lurk. I was pretty low on health, so I decided to turn back to go get some more Stimpaks. Funny thing about how the building is set up though, you can't go back the way you came in the Storage and Mixing Vats. I had to climb a staircase and drop down to get to the door to the offices, and the bottom area was blocked by debris :( I had no choice, Nukalurk was goin down!! I headed back up and loaded my missile launcher in my hands, this was no situation to take lightly. After I hit him square in the chest he only had small amount of damage surprisingly!! But I was able to finish him off. I finally was done with that floor! I kept going and fought a couple Protectrons, but they were amazingly easy after the Lurks. I was on the factory floor and found a computer that said activate shipping belt, or something like that, and 3 Quantums came out, awesome! With Quantums in pocket, I walked to the only door leading out in sight, and it had a lock pick skill of 100, which mine was 75 :( Frick. Luckily I found a very hard to see switch on the left side of the door that opened it, but If I hadn't of seen that, I would have been soooo frustrated. The doors opened, and low and behold, I was at the entrance again. Oops, Ronald is dead. My bad. Don't know how he died in the 30 minutes I was gone, but, yeah, he did. I looted his stuff, of course, and acquired a great gun! Called, the Kneecapper, it's a shotgun that does quite a bit of damage. With new possessions I left the factory finally feeling accomplished I made it all the way through. Although, by this point, I had used all my ammo and Stimpaks that I had originally bought so that I could back to Vault Tec and finish off those Turrets and Robots, so, back to home base it is!

With the reenergize finished, I fast traveled back to Vault Tec to finish them off! I climbed to floor three again and was able to defeat all turrets and robots. Anndd there really wasn't anything more to do. So that was kind of a waste of time. hmm.

I knew that the Metro outside would be valuable to explore, but, I wanted to see what was in that hospital! I walked on back to the hospital, faced my doubts, and walked inside. Guns ready in hand, I took a left down a hallway where I had previously taken a right. I checked all the rooms and boy was I right when It came to supplies! Stimpaks galore!! I ended up looting about 18 in all. Score. But those damn super mutants were still in there. I broke out my mini gun and went at them!!
That thing . .just does work! I was able to take down all 9 or 10 of them within oh, about a minute. Needless to say, I am feeling a bit more confident around them with that gun in hand :) I went upstairs in the hospital and found two more mutants which I took down, and didn't much more in the hospital on that level. I went back downstairs and found stairs that actually lead to a dry sewer? Interesting.

In the sewer, 4 mutants charged me but again, that mini gun makes them no problem whatsoever! I leveled up during this sequence :) Level 8, and the Strong Back perk to follow! I can now carry 50 more pounds. Man, does that help!! I cannot tell you how many times I have had to decide what is really important to me because I was at my weight level and had to drop something. This is going to help immensely. Found some ammo down there, and a door that lead to the metro tunnel. In the metro tunnel, super mutants and a Merc. With all defeated, I do have to say that I am starting to get good at this whole, staying alive thing, for longer. hah :) I came out at Dupoint Station! Raiders galore out there!! :( Seriously though, about 10 of them rushed me. See, mutants are that bad because they are pretty dim witted and even though they are large, they are slow and not the best at aiming (typically). You do get the occasional mutant with a mini gun or missile, and THAT is a pain to deal with. Lots of hiding, attacking, and hiding again. Anyways. The raiders though . .they are typically smarter than mutants, and actually know when and where to shoot. I died a couple of times and then decided the right course of action here is to grenade them first, then attack in the open. That strategy works just fine! It still gets me that they always get down to very low health and then say they don't want to die and run away. Yeah, still going to get you. Not going to let you go. mmhm!

Once they were all gone, I fast traveled to Tenpenny because I actually used pretty much all the Stimpaks I had :( Bummer. I refreshed and took a break from the downtown scene for a minute. I had actually heard from a buddy of mine that has played the game that there is this one Vault that is haunted . .and very much wanted to check that out! I fact traveled to Vault 101 and walked NW from there to eventually end up at Vault 106. Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE creepy games. Silent Hill? So much fun. But this Vault, wow, freaky. From the minute I hit the "open vault" lever, the noise from the door opening for probably the first time in a long time, was terrifying. I walked inside and the state of the place was in disarray. Barrels everywhere, and various items strewn around the ground. I walked down some stairs and what?

All of the sudden my vision goes purple and I see someone in a white lab coat walking into a room. I go down the hallway towards the room and my vision is back to normal and when I do get to the room, the person is gone. I go outside the room and woah!! a "insane vault dweller" is coming at me in a vault 106 jumpsuit and a knife. I take him out and wonder, what that hell is going on down here? Curious, I jumped on the Fallout Wiki page I mentioned, and looked up Vault 106. The lowdown is that, all of the vault dwellers went insane because this vault was always part of an experiment to see what would happen if the vault was pumped with hallucinogenic gas. Ohhhh that makes so much more sense! But makes for some damn crazy people. With knifes. And swords. Yikes. I kept going down and down finding more insane people along the way, and some purple visions as well. One of those purple visions I hit VATS on the man before me, and ..it's my dad?! It can't be, can it? I never caught up to him . .so I am assuming he isn't real. When I did get to what seemed the bottom of the Vault, another "trip" happened and this time . .it's Butch coming at me with a knife! Remember him? The bully I took out in the Vault? Yeah . .looks like he is back, and wanting revenge :( When this "vision" came at me, it actually hurt my HP. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!? I knew it was time to get out of there when my hallucinations are actually, physically hurting me. I ran out of there as fast as I could and boy did it feel good to make it out of that creepy place. Can't say I will be going back there anytime soon.

I fast traveled to Dupoint Station, where I had previously defeated those raiders, and walked across a bridge of sorts and found another Metro! I went inside and came across some Ghouls, no biggie there! Although, there were a lot of them. So that was a little difficult. Reguardless, I made it to a new Metro station, and Pennsylvania Avenue :) Getting closer to where I want to be, I just know it! I leveled up again, a new record to level up twice in one gaming segment, and picked the Large Guns perk, where all my rifles and shotguns do more damage. Im so loving that perk, since those happen to be my favorite guns, anyways! With the addition of the Level 9 perk, I called it a day in the world of Fallout.

Overall stats after 20 hours of Gameplay:
7 Quests completed
Roughly- 25 Times killed
75 People Killed
291 Creatures killed
Locks picked: 24
Computers Hacked: 3
Stimpaks taken: 110
Times addicted: 3
Status: Very Evil- Urban Invader (Lvl 9)

Feelings on Fallout 3, gameplay, aesthetics, etc.:

This game, in one word, is . .incredible. One of the best I have ever played, honestly. Besides the random glitches, it has worked like a charm. It draws you in . .makes you want to play more and more. The overall time and thought put into every aspect of the game, locations, characters, plot line, was just so thorough!

Playing the bad character was challenging, but very engaging. I found myself not caring, as much, about stealing and little things like that. When It came to killing a good character, though, I felt more apprehensive, as this wouldn't sit well with me in real life. The freedom to whatever you  like, when you want, is so addicting though. being able to live vicariously through this game, doing things you normally wouldn't do, is part of the rush though, right? That is what I think draws me into games that are so maybe dark and centered around killing enemies. Lets face it . .that is probably what draws a lot of other gamers in as well. Who actually wants to play a game about happy, everyday life things, where is the thrill in it . .the rush? It's simply not there.

Sometime I noticed when playing this game is something I kind of already knew in real life, but is even more so reenforced though this game; is the fact I have to be thorough. I know I can be slightly ADD/OCD in real life, but in a game where you yes, have a storyline, but no, don't have to follow it all of the time, there are many opportunities to start other side missions. When I enter a building, I have to explore every inch of it and know what is behind every door, it is just in my nature. If I don't, I won't feel satisfied. I also noticed that even though I would do or say the bad thing, that it never felt satisfying. Maybe at the time it was easier to be rude and callous, but in the long run it would have made me more comfortable to be the nice guy.

So no, I didn't finish the game. I have barely scratched the surface as I see it. I plan to finish it out, finding every section on the map and location to be discovered :) Let me just say, while being evil wasn't my first intention, I would do that route again. Just to get some perspective as to what is on the "other side of the spectrum" than what path I usually pick as a video game character. If you have the time, I would pick up a copy of Fallout 3 and see what I am talking about for yourself! Or if you have it, and have only been a good guy, walk on the dark side for a little! You may come to like it  . .:) haha.

With all that is said and done, I hope you all enjoyed my account of Fallout 3- now get out there and game!

-Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment