Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

ME2 | Crime, Genetics, and Batman

To prove my love for this series, I give it big thumbs-up for replay value. At least half of the games I have I've only revisited maybe once, if ever. I've made tons of different Shepard characters and gameplays. I have a mix of both genders, Paragons, Renegades, Paragades, and Renagons. I think I've tried every class, background, status, etc. And I still have fun with it.


Recruiting Okeer/Grunt


The environment reminded me of a dying, torn-up corporation building or storage facility. It looked like a war zone, which is exactly what it was. Maybe not all of planet Korlus looks this way, but the area I went to is not remotely a hospitable vacation destination. I will say that it's an all-out trend for the ME series - the design of the landscapes. They all have those blocky, industrial, technologically-enhanced environments, but in different ways and to a different degree. I mean, this place had what looked like a bombed ship to make your way through. Sure, it had the cool slidey doors to open, but you could die just by walking too far any given way. Rooms without walls or guardrails. Freaky.




Okeer was developing mindless, genetically-bred fresh-from-the-test-tube Krogan soldiers. It's similar to before in ME1 with the test-tube Krogan Saren was creating, but not the same.


  • ME1 Krogan: controlled by Saren aka controlled by the Reapers; bred specifically to be used as Saren's army to help the Reapers kill everyone
  • ME2 Krogan: created by Okeer as a science experiment to make the perfect Krogan; imperfect experiments sent into battle field to be used as live bait for mercenary groups to shoot at or given to the Collectors for study
The situation is still rather unfortunate, since pretty much all of the test-tube Krogan die. (At least the ME1 Krogan were all killed at the same time and very quickly by a massive bomb. These Krogan get shot until they stop breathing.) The main similarity is that these Krogan can't think for themselves. They're created for a specific purpose that is out of their control. Are they really Krogan if they lack personalities and the ability to think for themselves? Would you say the same thing if we were talking about humans? The idea of chemically or genetically altering beings to make the perfect soldier isn't revolutionary for the past few years. Look at Captain America. He is the product of genetic engineering. (Ignore the fact that comic books tend to make things impossible, possible in a somewhat "magical" way. I think almost every main comic book character dies and comes back to life more than once.) Okeer was willing to give life to thousands of Krogan "rejects" and throw them to the wind to create the perfect Krogan that defies a genetic disease that's innate to all Krogan: the Genophage. It's basically a complicated genetic mutation that makes it difficult and sometimes deadly to give birth, which effectively controls the Krogan population. They're dangerous and powerful, especially in numbers, and after a galactic war with them... Well, a lot of aliens felt that keeping a cap on these guys would do the galaxy some good. Again, this is one of those areas where I understand what both sides (Paragon and Renegade) feel about this. It's like how society feels about abortion: most people are either pro-life or pro-choice and have good reasons for each. There actually are good reasons to limit the Krogan population, and the Genophage isn't the same thing as genocide. (I would recommend Googling or YouTubing what Mordin has to say about it, because his words are far more punctual and descriptive than my own.) If I didn't have an open mind, it would be very hard for me to understand this; I would be inclined to have a 100% Paragon attitude. But I am open-minded and can see why the Genophage, to a certain degree, makes sense. Okeer's experiment is "quality over quantity". He threw away hundreds of Krogan experiments - living experiments, no less - to ensure that at least one Krogan was ideal. Was it worth it? Maybe. That one Krogan - Grunt, who I became increasingly fond of and may even prefer over Wrex from the previous game - represents a rare and fascinating specimen of science. This brings up the nature v. technology thing again, though. He should be allowed to live his life without being used as an experiment, right? But shouldn't we be able to learn from his rare and potentially life-altering genetic code, especially if his genes could change life as all Krogan know it? (Put humans in place of Krogan if it's easier to consider that way.) 

Okeer (tanks with Krogan experiments behind him)
This mission also discusses legacy - the life you live and the life you leave behind when you die. It's a huge concept to all living things with the capacity for memory. (Goldfish have a memory capacity that lasts about ten seconds, so it's probably not a very big deal to them.) The evolution of technology and technical images have altered how we think of and how we view legacy. Facebook and all of the photos and statuses and such, when compiled, represent at least a portion of your legacy. Those photos and statuses could be stored on a digital format for hundreds of years and won't disintegrate like the time capsules of ye olden days. Also, consider the film industry. Cinema began in the late 1800's as a far more primitive form than what we're seeing today in 2012 with digital effects and 3D imaging software. For the folks who work with the media medium, their legacy largely involves making good films. James Cameron will forever be known for Titanic and Avatar. Even as someone who has barely begun my own life, I consider video games to be a part of my legacy as they have shaped how I think and view the world. I didn't make them, of course, but I've played them and manipulated them in my own ways, should the format allow it (meaning RPG's versus regular third-person, linear-action games). In some ways, we shouldn't feel so comfortable about this transformation, but in others we should be extremely grateful. (Insert argument from readers between paper and electronic novels.) 

I'll talk a little more about Grunt once I reach his loyalty mission, but it'll definitely come back to this stuff of legacy and genetic engineering. Poor dude was born in a tank. No personal attachment. Only memories and bits of genetic material sent through tubes and wires. 


Sidenote: Has anyone seen Gattaca? I can't help but recall the movie as I'm thinking about this concept of genetic mutation. Developing a science and technology relationship to a point where you can select specific attributes that you want in your child - as simple as creating an avatar character in a video game. What fun is there in life if everything is chosen for you?




Omega and Aria T'Loak


There is so much crime and gang activity on Omega. It's another not-so-happy place. I would never want to be anywhere on Omega alone. Anywhere. You could get jumped for no good reason. And everyone knows it. People - that is, the more innocent civilians who live in housing areas - pay a monthly fee to mercenary groups to protect them. Just like paying the bills. Crazy. I suppose it might work this way in foreign nations. I'm not well-informed with global politics. There's a good chance that some African tribes or the like do the same thing. And that is unfortunate indeed, when crime becomes the norm. (Then again, if it's the norm, what's so bad about it? Define normal.)


Planet Omega (I told you - it's built into an asteroid. AWESOME.)
It doesn't look that grimy, but trust me. It is. Miranda vocalizes her sentiments about it once.
Omega is where I found that blatant use of sexism. I was registering to help the mercenaries stop Archangel (I'll get to him in a minute). When the merc recruiter sees that FemShep is, well, a woman, he cops a snarky attitude and says something along the lines of, "The strippers are in another room". I wish the game had given me the option to pistol-whip him. Oh well. I probably killed him during the forthcoming mission anyway. Sweet vengeance. (Technically, I only killed a bunch of coded numbers, and didn't actually kill or shoot at anything. Thank you, technical images.)


Aria T'Loak is a neat character. A non-gamer told me that she looks a bit like Angelina Jolie. I don't see the resemblance, but I thought it was interesting enough to take a mental note of it. She's much like the Illusive Man or the Shadow Broker in that information and reputation are her main power sources. She can certainly kick someone's butt into the next century, based on the battle she had with the Patriarch (non-critical game detail, but interesting story), but she doesn't really have to use that kind of power anymore. And, of course, there's the sex appeal, which she unabashedly proclaims. Perhaps she's overconfident, but she runs all of Omega and, admittedly, does it well. I wish I could pinpoint it, but for some reason I trust her more than the Illusive Man.




Recruiting Archangel/Garrus


I didn't write much for notes on this part. (Well, to be honest, I didn't write anything at all, but I tend to remember things that I don't need to remember. Like movies, books and video games. Instead of more important things like history, politics, philosophy, and scholarly citations. Is there something to note that I remember things that interest me? Perhaps, but it's kind of common knowledge.) I found it to be one of the most tedious missions of the whole game, but maybe I'm just being picky. It's interesting that he became a Batman-like figure. A dark knight, if you will. The hero for the little people of Omega who takes care of the big bad wolves in a gesture of good faith. Garrus is one of my faves in regards to characters on a "Best bud" level more than a character development level, though he's good on both ends. I loved that he came back as a guy who turned around from a tragedy and kept helping people and kicking butt. I feel like he's more significant in ME1, though I certainly enjoyed having him on the team in this game. He's one mean dude with a sniper. His loyalty mission continues the Batman vibe where he toes the line between revenge and vengeance. One team member resulted in the death of his entire team, and he's (naturally) pissed. As a Renegade, FemShep easily lets Garrus kill him. Whatever it takes, eh? Also, it's no secret that I totally love that headpiece he wears. I've always found it so freakin' cool.




Horizon Mission


I'm not gonna go into great length about this part because it's mostly just a lot of shooting at the ugly Collectors. The big stuff with them that I'll probably take into consideration is at the end of the game when the real trouble goes down. Such a pity to learn that they're actually Protheans that have been extensively modified by the Reapers. (There seems to be a lot about genetic modification, eh?) This is one of the single-most frustrating parts of the game, even more so since I'm playing on a harder difficulty. I died twice, mostly because of those stupid husks that attack you at random. I can deal with the Collectors and Scions. All you have to do is duck beneath objects and sprint for a few seconds when they get too close.


Gaming Segment (4 Hours)


How do technical images me us feel so connected? (Haha. Punny.) Video games seem to do this more than any other technical medium. They're clearly not real, but they must be doing something right because of how people like myself become so immersed and invested in them.


I should talk about Miranda as a character. She very well might be one of my faves from the ME series. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm biased, though. 1) I adore Australian accents. 2) Yvonne Strahovski portrays Miranda, who played Sarah Walker in one of my absolute favorite TV shows, Chuck. I'm still mourning its ending. 3) Her transformation is greater, in my opinion, than most of the other characters, especially in a Paragon route.


Speaking of character development, there's less of that on a Renegade mission. Not necessarily by a mile, but enough that it's noticable. Renegades simply don't take the time to get to know people and feel an emotional connection. If Renegade FemShep ever got the opportunity to settle down and raise a family, I don't think she would. She's a workaholic.


I honestly just want to power through the rest of the game and finish it. I'm on the cusp of the final battle. I just have to find Tali, explore that Collector ship and then after that, I can blast through the Omega 4 Relay and get down to business. (At that point, I'll have to figure out what I want to do with the final battle. Renegade Shepard is a little bit evil, but not stupid, so I probably won't make it into a suicide mission. Unless I'm persuaded otherwise.)


I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel. (That line is so annoying, it's funny. Renegade Shepard never uses it, though. FemShep simply DEMANDS the discount and gets it. Charm versus intimidation.)


~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment